Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I Made It!

Okay...I made it...I am in beautiful Idyllwild, California. It is a small resort town tucked away in the San Jacinto Mountains. I climbed to an elevation of over 8000 feet over the last two days...I climbed through treacherous ice and snow that blocked the trail which I wouldn't have been able to do without an ice axe. I was fortunate that a "trail angel" lent me a great carbon fiber ice axe on Saturday. I spent Saturday and Sunday in Anza, Ca and met a great 77 year old woman named Donna. She is a retired chef and she made home cooked meals for me all weekend :). She also took me to a great non denominational church on Sunday. Everyone was really nice and I made a lot more friends....Yesterday wasn't without incident though...imagine me falling on the ice about 5000 feet up from the bottom of a canyon and the only thing that stopped my slide was the ice axe...Thank God the "trail angel" I met let me borrow his! Needless to say this trip is definitely challenging! I know God is with me every step of the way though. I may stay here in Idyllwild a few days to give the snow and ice some more time to melt...

Trail Angel: volunteers that set up free water stations and camping areas along the trail to help out Pacific Crest Trail Hikers...Also known as great all around people with a servants heart. The more trail angels one meets the easier the trip becomes.

With love to all,
Hemmingway Jones

1 comment:

Rena' Smith said...

My goodness! Thank god for the "trail Angel"! I didn't realize there was ice!! Sounds like a good place to hang and wait for snow to melt. Keep up the hard work, can't wait to hear of all your experiences. :) I came across a quote I liked from Mark Twain, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream Discover."